Friday, February 18, 2005

Ok, here's half the stencil

Well, I decided to post a pic of what the stenciling looks like thus far. I still have the frieze to do, but as I mentioned a few posts ago, I can't seem to pick a combination of colors that I like. Any artists reading this, feel free to give me suggestions, because I need three colors for the frieze pattern. To see the pattern, look at the post "victorian stencils". My dh likes it the way it is, without having a frieze pattern, but it looks so pretty, that of course I want to use it!

The problem I ran into with stenciling the ceiling was that these patterns are made for 90 degree corners, and I don't have many (see below). Apparently, the guy who built the place wanted to stand out, by making these "reverse" corners, and that's not even the complicated part! This room also has 60 degree angles in four other places in the room, so the room sort of takes on a giant bay window type of "footprint", with the center window recessing in about 1.5 feet (see below again). That corner stencil in the photo is two feet square. Any home restorer sees this photo and gags with how those builders managed all those angles in plaster! Hopefully, I did an ok job modifying the stencil patterns to accomodate the angle problem!


This is the partially finished stencil project. Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lisa,

    I have been DYING to get my hands on an Epoch stencil set.... but with so many other projects in line, I know I better not get into it until I can give it my full attention! I figured it'd be pretty time consuming.

    It's worth the work though - it looks great already! Glad to see someone using these successfully.

    ~Mindy

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger K said…

    Ooooh, pretty!

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Thanks, there's definately a technique to get it right, plus needing a remarkable ability to apply it over your head! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home