Thursday, January 13, 2005

Victorian Stencils

Well, after lying low for a while with a broken thumb, and rib contusion, I'm back to posting.

I'm completely devastated. Bradbury & Bradbury Wallpapers will be out of business, effective December of 2005. I've always wanted to use their wallpapers in my home, and now it will never happen. Reason: $$$. They are the real deal. To do my entire home, it would cost around $20,000. I don't have it! :( I'd have to hire someone to hang it because it is real paper, with the consistency of a wet lunch sack. So, I'll never get to have their beautiful designs grace my ceilings and walls. *sniff* Seriously, check out their website!

Completely crestfallen, I pick up my new issue of Victorian Homes magazine. And lo! they have a feature article about Victorian walls, complete with vendors! As I was reading, I came across the stencilng section. I already knew about the Victorians' love of stenciling, but I never thought about it for MY home, because all the stencils I see at the stores are ugly, and not very Victorian! Apparently, someone else felt the same and started a company called Epoch Designs Their entire site is dedicated to Victorian stenciling. They sell them in layers, so you can create masterpieces with multiple colors, and they also sell them in "room sets" so you can stencil your room, ceiling to floor, in multiple combinations. The possibilities for design are endless! Obviously, I bought a room set. I already know what colors I want, and what combinations I'm going to use. Can't wait to get them! This is the perfect solution for someone to jazz up the Victorian house, but without losing all their money! :)


The Kavanaugh Parlor, by Epoch Designs Posted by Hello

5 Comments:

  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Lisa...I too love the Bradbury and Bradbury wallpaper and thought that I would not be able to afford. What I ended up doing is purchasing the border pieces and some filler for part of my walls and ceilings and then did some decorative painting to fill in what I could not afford to paper. I also did the papering by myself. I am not a professional decorator at all; but I took my time and I am very happy with the results (everybody that sees it does not believe that I did it). The most difficult part of the process is cutting the paper since you have to do it by hand; but that is also the greatest because you can cut it to your desired sizes. The wallpaper is also not that difficult to hang; in fact, I find it easier to hang that the prepasted wallpaper because you do not have water dripping all over the place. You just need to make sure and purchase the correct glue and use a paint roller to apply. I have also found ways to use leftover pieces of the paper in other rooms. I used leftover pieces from the front hallway to wallpaper the 1/2 bath in the same hallway.

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably order at least a roomful by the end of the year, since the papers are so beautiful. It's good to know that a "normal" person can hang the papers, that will save me money from having to hire a professional. The stencils are working out great, but it takes a long time! Ah, the joys of restoration!

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger K said…

    Thank you, thank you for telling the world about Epoch. I hadn't thought about stenciling until I saw your posts about it. Woo-hoo! This is just what I've been looking for!

    I love Bradbury & Bradbury also, but our un-fancy Folk Victorian doesn't quite justify the expense. But a lovely stencil will work just beautifully ... now how will I reach those 12-foot ceilings? Hmmmm ...

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Lisa....have you seen the Bradbury site lately? Good news...they are in the process of negotiating a buyout and plan on staying open.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Hey, thanks for letting me know Michelle! Now, I can save my pennies, and hopefully get their wonderful wallpaper someday! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home