Monday, January 31, 2005

S-L-O-W Progress

Whew! Who would of thought stenciling was sooooooo time consuming? Well, I can't find a color combination I like for the frieze. I've tried a white/gold/rose, white/blue/gold, blue/rose/gold, white/silver/rose, blah blah blah...And in all patterns. I just can't find the right "pop" for that frieze. As for the ceiling, I'm doing a tone darker than the walls. The walls are an icy blue, and the ceiling is like a slate blue. I'm highlighting the corner pieces in antique gold. I might glaze over the tops of the ceiling border also, but I'm going to finish the room first before I adjust the borders.

I work at the pace of 36" an hour for ONE color. You have to dry brush the stencils to get the right effect, and that takes a great deal of arm strength and pinched nerves in your neck! I have no idea how Michaelagelo did it, because stenciling upside down has to be a form of torture in the Geneva convention. I'll post pictures when I'm finished, but at the rate of 3 feet a night, that's going to take a while!

I finally got the final revisions into the National Register. The person helping me is so good at her position. It's wonderful to know that this department really takes pride in their work, and will do what it takes to help get these beautiful (but often neglected) homes gain the historical recognition they deserve. I'm set to give a presentation in March to the panel. It'll be the National Park Service, archaeologists, historians, State Historic Preservation Officer. I think that's right. I can't remember who's all on the council. I have to drive to Springfield.

Old homes are such hard work, but the character that shines when you use some elbow grease is so gratifying. I was speaking with a "new home" person the other day, and they just didn't understand how a house can become apart of the family, when all you do is work on it. I can never imagine moving. I'd be heartbroken. I feel like nobody but me could ever own this house. Karl and I have done everything, and how can you leave that? New home owners can move and not bat an eye. I did that with our "new" place that we had before this one. This house is different. I know who's lived here. This home had a civil war veteran in it. This home was a parsonage. This home probably heard so many secrets. This home has seen so many things. My children seem to just "fit" in their rooms. I can't imagine not having a home with a separate staircase for the kids. I can't live without pocket doors. I use every detail in this home. There's something that warms your heart by the simplicity of a woodstove. There's comfort in knowing there's more than a vapor barrier and a sheet of vinyl separating you from the elements. This home is cedar sided, with 1x4 tongue and groove boards, lath and plaster. It's a tank!

I think you get it... I LOVE MY OLD HOME! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home