Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Winter Weather

Well, what a way to start out my second post. Yesterday, the weather people issued an ice storm warning, and we here in Paw Paw, IL were blasted with a layer of ice. Nothing to traumatic, but the problem was today.

They're calling for another winter storm, where we can get 12 inches of snow. Nuts, and I need to go shopping. I wasn't in the mood to go, but I certainly did NOT want to be snowed in with no food! Anyway, as I had the kids bundled up, I walked onto the steps, knowing full well they were icy, and I fell. WITH our 20 month old daughter in my arms. I broke her fall, no problem, but I broke my thumb, and bruised my back and elbow. My LEFT thumb, and I'm LEFT handed. I'm not sure if I should go to the doctor or not. What a pain it would be, the closest hospital is 30 minutes from here, and Karl's 45 minutes in the opposite direction right now. I can't move the stupid thing, and ya, it does hurt, but as any parent of small children would agree, it might be more of a pain to go get it fixed, lol! Sigh...

On a lighter note, one of the best things we've done for this home is get a soapstone woodstove. It heats the house wonderfully, and I could care less if the power goes out. Just think, if you are in Northern IL in winter, and your power goes out, throw your food outside, and it'll stay cold forever. Heck, we do it with soups in large stockpots now, so it doesn't take up space in the fridge. AND, your home stays warm because you rely on wood heat, not natural gas or electric. Those poor saps in new homes don't know what they're missing! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home