Friday, March 25, 2005

An Item on my Wish List

In the Victorian Era, no proper upper-middle class home was complete without taxidermy. Whether it was exotic birds, or a trophy hunt, there was usually at least one "stuffed" animal somewhere in the well dressed parlour.

Well, of course my home no longer feels Victorian, devoid of the proper decorations! So, I asked myself, what kind of animal should I look for? Deer seem too "redneck" for me, and any kind of thing with fangs would probably give my small children nightmares for the rest of their lives. I love birds, so why can't I appreciate one that is still beautiful, but requires none of the care, lol?

So, I thought I would look for a "golden pheasant". The Victorian era was the birth of oriental trade in America, and it only seemed fitting. My problem was that I couldn't find one that really "popped" on quality. I fell back to my Ebay ways, and lo! There was a peacock! That would be PERFECT for my front room. I have four living peacocks in my yard, a peacock chandelier, and even the stained glass transom is a peacock fan.

I went to the website that is selling this beautiful bird, and this guy does a fantastic job. He has others, and all of them are beautiful. My problem is the price. My dh says no, *sniff*. And, he is not the kind of guy that showers the ladies with gifts, if you catch my drift. I'm stuck, peacockless, with an empty corner in my front room. I guess you can call me "crestfallen" (get it?)

If you have a Victorian home, and you are NOT a p.e.t.a. activist, check the site out, because your Victorian home deserves it! :) And, if anyone reading this has any extra $$$ feel free to help me out.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Gary said…

    You can always get one of those fake zebra or leopard skin rugs or throws in lieu of a trophy and put a picture of an exotic animal on the wall. You can even supply the picture, check this out

    http://www.cra-pro.com/index.htm

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Kasmira said…

    I feel for you! I don't have a victorian home and am still drooling over the peacocks! Wouldn't it be fun to have a live one in the yard? They're kind of dumb, though. My mother-in-law raised them but the stupid things insisted on sunning themselves on the highway and then getting run over. Maybe a dead, stuffed one IS better.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger K said…

    My husband has a horrid-awful deer head that I would gladly pitch into the dumpster. Yes, he is officially a redneck. He insisted it had to be in the living room in our former house, but for now it is safely hidden away in an empty bedroom.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home