Monday, February 28, 2005

To Mailbox or Not to Mailbox

I can't figure out if I want to put up a mailbox. At our old place, we had a mailbox, and it seemed that everyother week my my would be blown all over the neighborhood. So, when we moved to Paw Paw, and found no mailbox, we happily signed up for a box at the Post Office.

Thing is, I never go there to pick my mail up (it's mostly bills, so it's not like that's a motivator), and I can tend to run behind paying people, and picking my packages up. And, it seems like as the kids get older, it's getting harder to do. I thought it would be easier, but it's not.

So, I'm stuck with what to do. I'd like the convienience of getting my mail everyday, but I also like not having the stress of my mail being stolen, plows taking out the box, or the wind plastering all the letters down the road.

Hmmmm...

3 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Kasmira said…

    It probably wouldn't be in keeping with the character of your home, but you could get one of those mailboxes that are set inside a giant stump. Seems pretty indestructible.

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello.
    up here snow plows get every mailbox every 3-4 yrs. if you drive through the country you can see some pretty elaborate mechanical contraptions. most work, most are eye soars.
    i have repaired many many mailboxes. the height and distance from the road are decided by your mailman. if it is too strong the state police will deem it an unnessisary road side hazzard. and i think the plow drivers aim for ugly ones. alot of the mechanical ones dont swing back when hit. or very slight dammage renders them disfunctional. the best i have seen is a steel post 8' off the road with a steel post off of it on a swivel. the swivel point is a cam that tends to stay center. the cam is just a larger pipe cut at a 45 1/2 is welded to the vertical post and 1/2 is welded to the end of the horizontal. this doesnt usually swing back on its own but you can easily bump it back into place when you go to shovel. is suppose it you welded a knob on the top or put a bolt through or somthing no one could steel the top half.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    My dh's friend sunk a 6 inch diameter post 4 feet into the ground, and when the truck came by, the plow snapped off, and it spun the truck, lol. Yes, that guy did end up with a lawsuit, but nothing happened other than he had to take the post down.

    That would be sweet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home