Monday, March 07, 2005

Darn it!

Go figure, we go to work on the stained glass doors, and I didn't take into account the new entrance set.

The stained glass panels are actually too big for what we need, but I thought we could sink them further into the wood to accomodate that. Oops. I never thought about how much room the door handle was going to use.

So, this means I have to cut the glass down to what I need. I have no experience in stained glass, but I do have experience in ripping things apart, lol. I consulted a few online clubs for stained glass, and they told me to gather a cutter, flux, and a soldering iron, along with new caming for the edges. Ok, fair enough. At least the border design is a straight symmetrical pattern that I do not have to worry about the aesthetics of the pattern.

It just stinks that my project has been set back. It's never any fun doing the work you can't appreciate looking at (like re-sizing these panels). It's always more fun to work with the projects that you can see take shape.

Of course I had a "little" too much fun this weekend with our friends we haven't seen in a long time. So, Sunday was a total waste, where hubby had to watch the kids, while mom died up in bed swearing she will never have another mochatini in her life.

There's always next weekend.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    hey lisa! if you are going to resize the windows yourself, i would suggest making a template for the exact opening size you'll be needing. use whatever scrap plywood and 1x2s you have on hand. also, i would totally recommend taking a one or two day class (or longer) in stained glass so you have the basics. if you take your window apart, cut the glass without knowing what you're doing, you could be doing more harm than good. there are a lot of little tricks and tips you learn that could benefit you from the class. check out some of my work... http://kensingtonbungalow.blogspot.com/2005/02/stained-glass-addict.html
    whatever you decide to do... good luck!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home