Monday, April 12, 2010

Garlic Mustard and the New Chimney

Ok, so the chimney is complete. I can't tell you how happy I am to have that done. NOW can all the leaks can go away!?!?!

I recently read an article in the news about the invasive weed called "Garlic Mustard". The article went on to describe how it is destroying the local plant life on forest floors and how there is no natural fungus or parasites that kill it off. It is recommended that you pull it out and either burn it or throw it away because this plant is so hardy that it will re-root into the ground if you just leave it to wilt.

The name of the plant had me wondering. A short google search produced articles about how it was introduced by immigrants as a culinary herb. Adding "recipe" to garlic mustard produced many pages of recipes for pesto. I think the news article I read should have referenced how the roots are like a mild horseradish and that the entire plant is edible as a part of salads, pizza, etc... If it is anything we humans do best, it is consuming everything to the point of exploitation. Making this the hottest new item at your local restuarant should surely descimate this species, making it a "win win" for us and the native wildlife.

Here's a photo of a young garlic mustard plant in my yard:




I also picked this plant and will be making a pesto taken from "Bon Appegeek" after I publish the post.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    How’s the chimney looking now? Being at the topmost part of the house, I know it’s one of the hardest to keep in tiptop condition. Do you do the cleaning yourself? I haven’t really tried. XD I leave the job to the good chimney sweepers, you know. At least it is cleaned from time to time. I think it’s the least we can do for the safety it provides against poisonous gases. -->Lakisha

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger chrissy:) said…

    That isn't garlic mustard. It is wild geranium.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger chrissy:) said…

    Well, I am not 100 percent on the wild geranium part, but I am 100 percent on the "not garlic mustard" part.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home