Tuesday, December 06, 2005

How did we ever survive?

How did we; as a hairless species, ever survive? I mean, it's cold out here today! It's 10 degrees outside, and I can't finish putting in my stove! ARRRRGGGHHHH!

Here's the scoop:

Yes, we have "central heat". That is, if you count a radiant heat system put in around 1908. Don't get me wrong, we used it the first year in this place, but without ever having it inspected? I don't even want to bother.

I already have a wood stove in my drawing room but it is designed to heat only my downstairs. This summer I purchased another wood stove to go upstairs on the "loft" above the main staircase. I never put it in during the summer, well...uh... because I thought I'd do it in the fall.

Apparently, everyone felt the same way I did. I went to Menards, and they are backordered for MONTHS. So, I go online spend $500 more to have the chimney shipped in, and waited.

Then, we went to put it in this past weekend, and of course ran into problems. Karl's afraid of heights (working 35 feet up), there's a gutter where the ladder needs to rest, etc...

So, fed up at living downstairs, and NOT wanting to sleep in a 40 degree bedroom, I hiked up my skirt (kidding), flashed $200 (not kidding), and asked two guys to move my 400 pound stove upstairs, and put the effing chimney up. And, THEY DID IT!

I was so happy because my husband said I didn't "understand how hard this was to install" (because I'm using a horsewhip on him), and I thought that he doesn't understand that if he pushes me, I'LL get it done myself.

And I did. I moved the 400 pound stove from the landing, through my bedroom, and I widened the doorway, and set the stove into its final resting place. Yes, my back hurts.

Now the new problem. The one piece of chimney doesn't come into the house far enough for me to meet the heat clearances needed for either the stove or the stovepipe. Take a look, and yes, the window is covered in ice...

stupid stove

Dammit!

I was so close, and there's nothing I can do. I had to order another part, an 18" length instead of a 12" that's in there now. The good news? It should be here within two days. The bad news? The cold days are NOW, and it will be back into the 30's by the end of the week, and I don't care then.

So, back to freezing my dupa off and sleeping downstairs. I don't know how we survived way back when, because 40 degrees upstairs, and 52 downstairs is not cutting it for me, AT ALL. Think I'm joking? Here's the pics, taken today:

new definition of warm
This one is out of focus because my Xmas tree is right there, so I had to take it really close.

upstairs temp
And, 40 is warm, I took this in the middle of the day. God knows what it is at night.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said…

    Yes, that is really cold for the inside, I hope your pipe gets to you very quickly. Our house is toasty and all we use are radiators that are heated by an ancient boiler that somehow has miracuously continued to work. I hope it keeps on through the winter. I walked my daughter to the bus stop and the temp is 9 degrees with a wind chill of 0. I thought my face was going to break.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home