Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Master Bath

This is the last room we really need to work on. It's also the room I care the least about, so it's not taking priority attention!

But, it is from the late 30's or early 40's (toilet was marked 1932 or 1939), and is in desparate need of remodeling. This room I want to use alot of stone work, and with the stove and marble floor in the drawing room directly beneath it, I'm not so sure the house was meant for the weight load. I'll have to hire an engineer. The other thing is that the linen closet is almost large enough to be a bedroom (!) and I'd LOVE to tear it out and put the second floor lanudry in there. The room used to be a fifth bedroom, so it's very large.

Being as I can't really do what I want with the bathroom due to my overstretched finances being sucked by this house, I'm going for a "design on a dime" look, and keep it under $1000.

Here's the bathroom as it looked when we purchased the place. Keep in mind that half the room couldn't fit into this shot, so a 4x6 foot window isn't shown.

fullbath

This is it now, so far keeping within budget:

notfinishedbathroom

I painted the tub with Rustoleum, and changed the clawfeet to silver. I installed new lights/fans, and painted the "wainscoting" (which is WAY cheap and fake, but it'll do for now), put in a new toilet, and put in a Victorian Delta faucet, granite undermount sink, and a cherry cabinet.

I still have to replace the vanity light, and put up new wallpaper. Then, I can at least live with the bathroom. I also have to tear out that mess by the radiator. Why did they cover it up? Why not just put a corner cabinet in above it?

Oh ya, remember this post about the central air conditioning leaking in the attic? Well, this what happens when water damage meets cold air:

peelingbathroom

Grrrr....

3 Comments:

  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said…

    That's definitely an improvement.

    Can I ask a question about your radiator though? Mine are exposed, but I don't like the way they look, and I don't like radiator covers. I noticed that you recessed yours in a wall. Does it still get enough airflow in there to heat the room properly?

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    We didn't recess the radiator. We're removing that "wall" the previous owners had built around it.

    It's a bad thing because:

    1. No, the air circulation in horrible.

    2. The "bleeder" valve gets covered, and those need to be bled of air every season WHILE the furnace is running (the radiator furthest from the furnace). Otherwise, the furnace might "knock", which ours did until I removed the "wall" and bled the lines. It took 5 minutes to get the air out!

    Why cover the radiators? I've been scarping them, and then using the "Hammered Metal Finish" Rustoleum, and the look brand new. Then again, my are very ornate, and pretty to look at.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said…

    You're probably right. I should've painted them before I re-installed them. They are okay looking, I guess.

    By the way, since you have the same kind of radiators, you should check out www.heatinghelp.com. There is a lot of useful info in there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home