Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Old Roof Blues

Go figure, just when you think you are done with any major projects, your roof decides to leak.

And, I found that I have tendonitis in my left wrist or carpal tunnel, whatever. I'm not supposed to use my left wrist (my dominant hand). How is that possible in this house with two kids? And now a leaky roof? I have this "bubble" underneath my wrist, and this aching pain up my arm. If I don't stop using it, I might have to have a "surgical release" to aleviate the pain and swelling. Nice.

Anyways, because of this new leak in the roof, our plaster ceilings were damaged. Yeah, NOT a small leak as you can gather. The plaster is coated in lead paint, and the one ceiling in in our daughter's bedroom. My stars are so not in alignment.

So, Karl and I will be working in shifts fixing the roof and the ceilings. There may be the option of just drywalling over the damage (after fixing the leak), but that's so cheap. We'll see. I'm having problems with the picture uploader, so I'll get some pics in later of the damage. It would be nice to just replace the roof, but it would also be nice to have the money to do so, lol.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Jocelyn said…

    I know this kind of stuff happens to everyone at some point- houses just do this to us sometimes- even new houses have issues. Sorry to hear about your trouble with the roof. At least you guys seem to know what to do and be able to fix it. Hang in there!

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Gary said…

    You can always re-plaster the ceiling! Just staple some chicken wire to the lath for keying the plaster to and work from the outside to the center. Throw some hydrated lime into the plaster to make it more mallable. The finish coat can be joint compound. Is the leak near a chimney or in a valley? Generally the flashing goes before the shingle will give out. Would love to help but as I stated in my blog this week I REALLY HATE ROOFING!!!!

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Santo said…

    Oh, did you replace the roof, Lisa? That's probably the best solution for the problem you experienced. But it could be better if you asked some advice from the experts in roofing. They know solutions that won't punch a hole in anyone's pocket. LOL!

    Santo Caridine

     

Post a Comment

<< Home