Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Some quiet time...

Well, the appraiser has come and gone, and we've ejoyed a 30% increase in our property value over two years. Not too shabby, and a 50% increase over the original purchase price of the home. SO, I'm happy with that. It gives us a good idea about what our work is adding to a rural property, since rural areas have a hard time increasing in value.

The family and I have taken some time to relax. I've planted a bunch of perennials, including a banana tree. Ya, can you believe there is a variety that is hardy to zone 5? Weird! Also, I wanted to attract some birds to my newfound garden, so I put up an oriole feeder, and a hummingbird feeder, in the garden, next to our fountain. It didn't even take two days, and I had Baltimore orioles galore.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

While taking photos (I took them on the "real" camera, with my zoom lens, so I have to get them developed), two came and started fighting over the feeder. I've never seen them before around here! I also have rose-breasted grosbeaks, indigo buntings, thrashers, and many other unusual birds. All of which I haven't seen before in my life before I moved here! I have to keep my birding book and camera ready at all times!

The weather's been great, so in the early mornings, Karl and I have snuck out onto the newly redone front porch to enjoy some coffee and watch the orioles come to the feeder. How relaxing!

We may cool it for a while on any further remodeling, just to let our wallets recover, lololol.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Jocelyn said…

    I am jealous of your birding capabilities there. We get some in our yard (cardinals, golden finch, mourning doves, and sparrows) but it's the city so not so many as you. Lovely photo of the oriole.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home